The Kevin J. Brunelle Astrophotography Photo Contest Deadline Less Than A Month Away (Article from October Guide Star)
If (as your Editor hopes) you have been reading the Guide Star front-to-back, you must have noticed the many fine celestial images submitted by our members. Some of these, and others you have not seen, may be shown at the club’s November 14 meeting at Allegheny Observatory, where we will be holding the annual Kevin J. Brunelle Astrophotography contest. It’s time for you to select your contest-winning favorites. Here are the details:
Contest Categories for 2014 are as follows:
- Stellar (Clusters, Constellations, Doubles, Star Trails, Etc.)
If you have a question on the suitability of an image for a particular category please contact President John Holtz. Images containing more than one image type (i.e. galaxy with an open cluster pairing) are up to the photographer to decide which category is most appropriate. Contest rules are as follows:
- The contest is open to all active AAAP Members.
- All images entered should concern areas of interest to the AAAP.
- Remote imaging is allowed provided the equipment is owned and set up by the astrophotographer contestant.
- The image must be the sole work of the contestant and may not be a collaborative work.
- All images submitted must have been captured after the deadline for the November, 2013 KJB Contest and must be submitted on or before the deadline of November 1, 2014.
- No more than 5 entries per category per person (25 images maximum per contestant)
We also ask that contestants please hold back on posting any images to the Yahoo Group or bringing attention to any images that will be entered in the contest for a period of two months leading up to the contest.
Directions for submission are as follows:
Please submit images to email@example.com on or before November 1. Compressed image file formats like jpeg are preferred, but all formats will be accepted. Please break up your submissions into several emails to decrease your chances of a single large email not going through. Please include with each image (either in the email or as the file name) what you would like the image to be called and in what category you would like to submit it in. A CD or USB thumb drive can also be mailed to:
KJB Photography Contest
328 Carnegie Place, Pittsburgh, PA 15208
Please be sure to postmark by Oct. 31 to ensure delivery by Nov 1, 2014.
- Prizes: First place winners in all categories will have their images printed (with your name in the bottom right corner), framed and hung in both Wagman and Mingo Observatories for one year in recognition of your photographic accomplishments.
Disclaimer: By entering the Kevin J. Brunelle Photography contest, you retain the rights to your works while granting the AAAP the right to copy, distribute, display, and perform your copyrighted work – and derivative works based upon it – provided AAAP credits the copyright holder. Examples would include, but are not limited to, public display at AAAP facilities, public star parties and club meetings, in digital and print media.